Tuesday, September 22, 2009

One of those days


Today has been a less than banner day at the homestead. Tempers have been lost, sore throats, toothaches, and grumpy attitudes. And that was just me!!!


But, as they say, the mother is the thermostat of the family, setting her family's hearts to a warm glow, or an icy frigidity! Today, I was far too frosty for our own good. I reaped what I sewed today, and I have a lot to make up for in the grumpy mommy department.


However, in the midst of this, God provided some memorable moments that we won't soon forget. One occurred in the testing fire of potty training. My little 2 year old son is doing a grand job at potty training. Really, really a great job. Today, we had the inevitable accident, just much funnier than any I have ever seen with my other kids.


He was sitting on the potty today, and announced that he was done. So I said, "Did you go potty?" His reply was, "Yes, on my legs." I was somewhat alarmed, so I replied "You went potty on your legs on the toilet?" Sweet, innocent blue eyes gazed up at me as he said, "No, on the floor." Of course this sounded like "floe-wa" in toddler-speak. Now I was alarmed, so I replied, "Where did you potty on the floor?" Thus ensued an Abbott and Costello-esque conversation that I will never forget.


DS--"Um, on my legs."


Me--"Yes, but where did you potty on your legs?"


DS--"On the floe-wa." Big blue eyes, innocent and sweet.


Me--"Okay, but where on the floor?" And I am not kidding, he replied...


DS--"On my legs."


So, I try a different path. "Where in the house did you pee on your legs?"


DS--"On the floe-wa."


Needless to say, I gave up at this point, and stepped out of the bathroom for some air. At which time I landed in damp, urinated-on carpet. Oh, well. At least I found it!


Now that school is over and dinner is almost ready, and I have taken my aching head to the couch for a moment, I can laugh about this. One of God's greatest mercies to a mom of young children is the laughter in the midst of the stress! My toddler is a challenge on the best of days, in his toddlerhood, but he also brings me more laughter than anyone I know!


So, my "who's on first, what's on second" conversations are behind me, our house is filled with the yummy smell of mexican food in the oven, and tomorrow my husband will be home the whole day. All is well! Hopefully I can be lead my family into warm, comfy coziness tonight, rather than my Antarctic grumpiness. I'm praying to be a more effective thermostat tomorrow!

No comments: